Going to a new college and living in a dorm can be fun and exciting; it’s the best time of life. However, for students with allergies, asthma, or other respiratory issues, the case may not be the same. 40-50 million people are suffering from allergies and 20.3 million people with asthma in the US. If you have respiratory problems; you can easily feel the importance of getting an air purifier for dorm rooms.
However, picking the right air purifier isn’t easy, especially for dorm rooms. There are many things to consider while choosing the best air purifier for the dorm you live in. Our expert team has been through the best options in the market for the best air purifier for dorm room and came up with some. Stick to the article to get the best air purifier suggested by the experts in air purification technology.
Are Air Purifiers Allowed in Dorms?
If you’re living in a dorm where allergens, odor, dust pollen, and other pollutants are common, getting an air purifier should be the first thing to get. But, before you bring anything to the dorm, the strict college rules are there to bother you for sure. You may have the same question for the air purifier, whether you can bring it to your room or not!
Well, the answer is, yes, you can bring the air purifier to your dorm as it’s not a fire hazard or environmentally hazardous. If your college doesn’t spell out any other specific rules about air purifiers, it’s not a crime to bring it in general. However, be sure to check your dorm’s rulebook to know what electronic devices aren’t allowed to bring because of overloaded electricity. Ask the RA or who’s in charge of your dorm to know the rules in detail and be sure to ask about the air purifier.
Table of Content:
Blueair Blue Pure 411 Air Purifier (2 pack) 3 Stage with Two Washable Pre-Filters
Medify MA-14W2 Medical Grade Filtration H13 HEPA Air Purifier
LEVOIT H13 True HEPA Filter Air Purifiers for Allergies and Pets, Smokers, Smoke, Dust, Mold, and Pollen
BISSELL MYair Purifier with High Efficiency and Carbon Filter for Small Room and Home
hOmeLabs True HEPA H13 Filter Air Purifier – Portable for Home, Bedroom or Office
5 Best Air Purifier for Dorm Room Reviews 2021
Dorms are the hells, especially for those who have allergic problems and need clean air to breathe in. College dorms are not as neat as your home, especially if you have to share the room with others. Here are 5 best air purifier for dorm room that can clean and improve the air quality and help you breathe air, not pollutants:
1. Blueair Blue Pure 411 Air Purifier (2 pack) 3 Stage with Two Washable Pre-Filters
The Blueair Blue Pure Air Purifier will be the best air purifier for college dorm rooms with its 3-stage purification technology. It can absorb 99% of the PM 2.5 airborne pollutants in your room, including dust mites, odor, allergens, bacteria, smoke, even pet danders.
With its 360° absorbent technology, you can skip the direction issue and use it for working for the whole room at the same time. Dorm rooms are small, and VOCs are common in them, you can easily get rid of them with this purifier within 175 SQ feet coverage.
As it works with both Particle filter and carbon filter and has a fabric pre-filter, too, you can expect no allergens or smoke pass over it without getting caught. If you’re after an all-in-one air purifier for dorms, have smoke in your room, get this 360° ultimate filter with a very low noise level, only at 17-46 dBA.
Blueair Blue Pure Features:
- This purifier comes with 3-stage filtration technology to filter any sort of pollutants.
- It can absorb up to 99% of PM 2.5 airborne pollutants including gases, smoke odor, dust mites, and mold spores.
- The coverage for this purifier is 175 SQ feet with a 161 SQ feet of AHAM rating.
- It comes with a 360° filtration system to accelerate the purification process for better indoor air quality.
- You’ll get a very low noise level at 17-46 dBA, especially for quiet places and sleeping.
2. Medify MA-14W2 Medical Grade Filtration H13 HEPA Air Purifier
If you’re after a medical-grade air purifier for nursery rooms or a highly sensitive patient room, the Medify MA – 14W2 is the one you’re looking for. The H13 medify HEPA filter can filter out 99.9% of pollutants sized by 0.1 microns like mold, mites, dander, common and tobacco smoke, bacteria, and even viruses.
It comes with 3 levels of variable fan speed settings with whisper mode and sleep mode to lessen your struggles. While in sleep mode, the control panel lights go off in sleep mode and the noise level. The CARD certification of 120 SQ feet and the cleaning capability of up to 470 SQ feet in only 1 hour makes it the best air purifier for dorm rooms.
With its capability of cleaning the air 117 sq. ft. in only 15 minutes and 200 sq. ft. in 30, it’s the best HEPA air purifier for dorm rooms or nurseries. You’ll never go out of clean air because it has an intelligent filter replacement indicator to direct you when it’s time to replace the HEPA filter.
Medify MA-14W2 Features:
- It comes with the H13 HEPA for filtering 99.9% of pollutants as small as 0.1 microns.
- This filter has a CARD rating for 120 sq. feet and can filter 117 sq. feet in 15 minutes.
- It offers 3 fan speed levels with a whisper-quiet noise level for the sleep mode.
- The sleep mode of the filter has a built-in night light that you can turn off any time.
- You don’t worry about the filter replacement time; it has a filter replacement indicator.
3. LEVOIT H13 True HEPA Filter Air Purifiers for Allergies and Pets, Smokers, Smoke, Dust, Mold, and Pollen
The LEVOIT H13 is the best air purifier for allergies and pets as it comes with the H13 true HEPA filter. It can filter out pet dander, dust pollen, allergens, mold spore, and bacteria up to 99.97%, removing contaminants as small as 0.3 microns. The activated carbon filter is highly efficient at removing every bit of smoke and odors from your room.
It can circulate and clean the air within the room 4 times each hour to cover a larger dorm room up to 516 sq. ft. With 3 different fan speed levels, it’s the best air purifier for large dorm rooms as you can use the highest fan speed for a bigger space. To cover you up with the coverage, the CARB and FCC certification comes with better pollutant removal capabilities.
The filtration process goes even further with the 3rd pre-filter layer that makes it remove any large dust particles and keep the inner filter last long. While filtering efficiently, it doesn’t make much noise; it’s only 25 dB, which is ultra silent while sleeping with built-in night light.
LEVOIT H13 Features:
- This filter has an H13 True HEPA Filter to clean 99.97% contaminants of 0.3 microns.
- There are 3 different levels of fan speed with this air purifier for adjustability with the dorm room.
- It can clean a really large room; capacity is up to 516 sq. ft. and cleans 4 times per hour.
- You can use it peacefully while sleeping with only 25 dB of the noise level.
- It comes with CARB and FCC certification to ensure the maximum quality.
4. BISSELL MYair Purifier with High Efficiency and Carbon Filter for Small Room and Home
The MYair Purifier from BISSELL comes with a highly efficient true HEPA filter that can capture 99.7% of pollutant particles as small as 0.3 microns. Apart from being an efficient air purifier for dust removal, it also does a great job at cleaning pet dander, pollen, hair particles, and other airborne pollutants.
On top of that, it features an activated carbon filter to capture smoke odors from cooking or tobacco and VOCs to keep the air healthy. For the coverage, it can get you a fully clean air within 100 sq. ft. Which makes it the best air purifier for small rooms, especially dorms.
You can set the filter on a schedule of 1, 4, or 8 hours to keep yourself out of hassles controlling it. However, you’re getting a fully capacitive touch controller to control the machine along with night mode. This air purifier’s noise level is only 30-46 dB featuring 3 fan speed levels with an ambient night light for a soothing sleep.
BISSELL MYair Purifier Features:
- MYair purifier features a Schedule setting of 1, 4, and 8 hours for flawless filtration.
- It filters 99.7% airborne pollutant particles and dust mites as small as 0.3 microns.
- The noise level of this air purifier is 30-46 dB, with 3 fan speed levels to tweak for dorms.
- It has a capacitive touch control interface to control the machine, including night light.
- It can efficiently filter any pollutant particle within the coverage of 100 sq. ft.
5. hOmeLabs True HEPA H13 Filter Air Purifier – Portable for Home, Bedroom or Office
If you’re after a true portable air purifier for both your home and dorm room, the hOmeLabs air purifier would be the one. Its elegant and small footprint will surely catch your eyes in a split of a second. The highly efficient H13 true HEPA filter will just get it even further by removing every bit of pollutant particles, including mold spore, bacteria, mites, pet dander, and viruses.
The filtration process works with 3 stages of filters, including an activated carbon filter to help you with smoke from the kitchen or tobacco and odor. Furthermore, with 3 levels of fan speed, the noise doesn’t rise more than 50 dB, and that makes it the best air purifier for bedroom as you sleep there peacefully.
On top of that, there are 2 night light functionalities that can get you the best soothing sleep time. Its smart child lock mechanism will help you keep it safe from kids while using it at home. The filter reset function will notify you when to change and reset the filters without ever checking it manually.
hOmeLabs True HEPA Features:
- This air purifier comes with a true H13 HEPA filter along with an activated carbon filter to purify a dorm.
- It works with 3 stages of filters, including a pre-filter layer for the larger pollutant particles.
- You’ll get 3 levels of fan speed for versatile situations like sleeping, libraries, or dorm.
- The noise level of this air purifier doesn’t rise more than 50 dB even under full speed.
- There are 2 night light settings with child lock and filter reset notifier with this purifier.
Why Is It Good To Have A Dorm Air Purifier?
let’s face it; there is no denying that homes need air purifiers, badly, and you may already have one; but, what about the college dorm? Dorms aren’t the address for a single person with specific items in it like the bedroom in your home. There will be many more pollutants, pathogens, especially VOCs in a dorm room. Here are the reasons why you must have an air purifier if you’re moving to a dorm room at your new college:
Minimizing the risks of illness:
Diseases don’t only spread with touches from the ill people, it can also spread from the items they used or touched. College dorms are the best place to contact things that multiple people used and possibly infected. Airborne pollutants are the least of your worries when other people also have used the bed you’re lying on. Furthermore, if you have roommates, their sneezes, viruses could spread, even when they talk. An air purifier for dorms can be your best friend in fighting those unseen threats.
Eliminating the VOCs and pathogens:
VOCs and pathogens have a very bad reputation of being one of the leading reasons for cancer and fatal respiratory issues. In college dorms, VOCs are the most common things from its walls, the new paint jobs every few years, even the dry-cleaned clothes of yours and your roommates. If you’re living in a dorm and recently experiencing respiratory issues, it’s probably because of the VOCs and the pathogens.
Removing smokes and odor:
Smokes and different kinds of odors are pretty common in most dorms, whether from the kitchen or tobacco. Unwashed clothes, leftover food, and other things are greatly common in dorms that actively produce a lot of odor and other volatile components. With a dorm air purifier, the chances of getting sick and keeping out of those items can be a great option. The nasty smells from your roommate’s unwashed clothes can no longer bother you or possibly make you sick.
Where Should an Air Purifier Be Placed in a Dorm Room?
Getting the best service from the dorm air purifier requires the best placement, especially when you’re using it in your dorm. Here is the guideline on where you should place your air purifier for the best service from it:
- Don’t place the dorm air purifier too close to the wall where it cannot intake the air properly to circulate. Place it at least 4-6 inches away from the wall or a large obstacle.
- Don’t place your air purifier in the corner of the dorm; rather, you should place it somewhere in the middle. You can get a circular air purifier and place it in the middle of the room and get a 360° purification.
- Try to place it closer to the pollutant source, as close as possible, to help it absorb the most pollutants.
- If you have multiple rooms, consider placing the air purifier in the most-used dorm room where you live. The kitchen can also be a great place to put the purifier as it’s the most polluted room in your house.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the most frequently asked questions about selecting the best air purifier for dorm rooms that you might have an interest in:
Do air purifiers help with stuffy rooms?
If you have a stuffy room with items that make the air less healthy, you can use an air purifier to stay safe. The purifier will absorb the airborne pollutants, particles, and pollen to keep the air safe.
Should I leave the air purifier on all day?
If you have enough reason to keep the purifier turned on, you can do so. However, if you’re concerned about energy consumption, leave it on energy savings mode with low fan speed.
Can you use an air purifier with the windows open?
Yes, you can use the air purifier with the windows open, but that’s not very efficient! The window will keep letting the pollutants into the room if there are airborne pollutants available outside.
Using an air purifier for dorms can be a great approach to improve the air quality to stay safe from respiratory issues. When you’re living in a dorm, it’s far more polluted than your residence, especially because it’s a place for multiple people. Now while selecting the best air purifier for dorm room, I’ve tried to portray the best ones in the market that can help you stay on the safest side of your life.
If you’re still confused about selecting the best overall, I’d suggest you get the Modify MA-14W2 Medical Grade Filtration. It has got the medical-grade H13 true HEPA filter for the best filtration for pollutants and particles that cause the most illness. With its CARD certification and a large coverage for over 470 SQ feet, it’ll be the best option for an overall good product.